Being a dental assistant can be a good career, but is it right for you?
If you’ve been to the dentist and had your teeth cleaned, a cavity taken care of, been given x-rays, or other dental care procedure, you likely had a dentist’s assistant working right alongside the dentist helping to do the work. Perhaps you’ve wondered if this profession could be good for you.
If you’ve ever considered this type of work for your occupation, you might be interested in understanding that the niche of dental hygienist and assisting is growing every year in Kentucky.
These dental programs tend to be given at local community colleges, trade institutes, and even through a handful of web-based education centers. Generally, these programs will take around a year to finish.
Working assistants may later continue on for official certification from The Dental Assisting National Board (DANB). This certification program is used in 30 states where after successful finalization, acknowledges the education and vocational achievement of these healthcare specialists.
Licensing of Dental Assistants
Shortly after graduating from your vocational training program, in order to obtain work, many states want you to be certified. This licensing usually requires finishing computer-given tests along with a hands-on test or some other task.
A few states want approved instruction to be completed before a dental assistant will be licensed. Consult with your state board to check out what these requirements are.
The Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) is the specific designation that the authorized hygienist receives. This RDH certification attests you’ve properly completed an approved training course, a standardized written exam, and also a regional clinical exam.
Course programs can be recognized by The Commission on Dental Accreditation which functions to keep top conditions in the nation’s instruction classes and education.
Extra Dental Options
Coursework for potential dental practice hygienists are also available at schools and internet based learning centers. Dental hygienists instruct patients about oral hygiene, clean and polish teeth, perform teeth x-rays, along with other activities.
Another program in the broader health care business is in the segment of dental technicians. Most dental technicians fabricate dentures, bridges and crowns by working off of dental impressions or molds submitted by the dental office. Proper hand and eye coordination is a necessary skill to have in this job.
Take a look at some choices:
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
- Earn your Bachelor of Science in Public Health - 100% online
- Learn about controlling infectious disease, improving healthcare access, and more
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
Maryville University is a private university in St. Louis County, Missouri. Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a comprehensive and nationally ranked private institution with an enrollment of more than 6,800 students.
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880. What began as an academic institution of just 53 students has now grown to more than 38,000. Today USC continues to uphold its tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, fostering a vibrant culture of public service and encouraging students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.