Being a dental assistant can be a good career, but is it right for you?
If you’ve been to the dentist and had your teeth cleaned, a cavity taken care of, been given x-rays, or other dental care procedure, you likely had a dentist’s assistant working right alongside the dentist helping to do the work. Perhaps you’ve wondered if this profession could be good for you.
If you’ve ever considered this type of work for your occupation, you might be interested in understanding that the niche of dental hygienist and assisting is growing every year in Kentucky.
These dental programs tend to be given at local community colleges, trade institutes, and even through a handful of web-based education centers. Generally, these programs will take around a year to finish.
Working assistants may later continue on for official certification from The Dental Assisting National Board (DANB). This certification program is used in 30 states where after successful finalization, acknowledges the education and vocational achievement of these healthcare specialists.
Licensing of Dental Assistants
Shortly after graduating from your vocational training program, in order to obtain work, many states want you to be certified. This licensing usually requires finishing computer-given tests along with a hands-on test or some other task.
A few states want approved instruction to be completed before a dental assistant will be licensed. Consult with your state board to check out what these requirements are.
The Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) is the specific designation that the authorized hygienist receives. This RDH certification attests you’ve properly completed an approved training course, a standardized written exam, and also a regional clinical exam.
Course programs can be recognized by The Commission on Dental Accreditation which functions to keep top conditions in the nation’s instruction classes and education.
Extra Dental Options
Coursework for potential dental practice hygienists are also available at schools and internet based learning centers. Dental hygienists instruct patients about oral hygiene, clean and polish teeth, perform teeth x-rays, along with other activities.
Another program in the broader health care business is in the segment of dental technicians. Most dental technicians fabricate dentures, bridges and crowns by working off of dental impressions or molds submitted by the dental office. Proper hand and eye coordination is a necessary skill to have in this job.
Take a look at some choices:
Sullivan University is Kentucky's largest private college or university, offering higher education for people with higher goals. At Sullivan University, we focus on in-demand programs that lead to successful careers. Whether you're a high school student considering college for the first time, an adult returning to school or someone seeking professional development, you'll be surprised at the variety and range of alternatives Sullivan University offers.
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!